
I've known this day would come: a blog. The height of self indulgence. Not to mention commitment!
Here in my cubicle listening to Elvis Costello's "Beyond Belief" on a rainy day. I'm inspired to start this blog based mostly on the fact that my bosses are both away, and as a result of a recent trip to San Francisco- which was great! And since trips are a form of reconnection with the world and far away people, a blog seems like an logical result. That, plus the fact that my cellphone died for 5 days and I just unearthed 16 messages from friends lost in the wilderness of voicemail. Sorry, people.
We spent half the time at the W in San Francisco, in all of its feng-shui glory, and and the other half in Atherton with my aunt and uncle and cousins. Walking the city was great, being an unabashed tourist using free time so....freely. Being with family was a dream come true too. It was so fulfilling to have 3 generations of us under one roof and watch everyone interact and play together. There really is something uniquely poignant about being related to someone.
Here are some post-trip reflections: (I so obviously don't know how to blog)
1. My godson Matthew is a precious gorgeous child. I couldn't think of a better reason to travel cross country than this, being given the opportunity to love a new little life. I didn't feel like being a godmother would actually feel like anything, but it does. I've been looking for opportunities to grow up ever since I was a little kid, and this seems like another good one.
2. David is on USAir's national security do-not-fly list. Fascinating.
3. Suburia isn't so bad if you have a lot of money. Drew got dirty at every opportunity in the yard, sandbox, driveway, puddles-- required a bath every 4 hours and I had to actually put his shoes in the washing machine. I took Drew to the park back here in Philadelphia yesterday, and as he was proudly showing me a new rock he found, I saw it was a dried up piece of chewed gum complete with incriminating teeth marks still in it. City dirt is just gross whereas country dirt still strikes me as an adorable learning experience. Must be something to do the price per square inch of it.
4. It was nice to be away from TV for so long, although I caught the new Sopranos at the hotel and it was a pleasant reminder of the good old days when we stole cable. The pediatrician recommends that everyone in our house watches under 1 hour of TV per day. Does good acting count as TV anymore?
5. Why is there never enough time to talk to those you love on a regular basis? I guess that's the true nascence of this blog. Love you all.

8 comments:
Welcome!! Love to all -- Leonard
I have never written in a blog before so this is pretty cool. Drew is sooooo CUTE, oh and you two also. ;0)
I am excited to see how this goes.
It is always stimulating to the older members of a family to see the younger one enjoying FAMILY!!
All is important from the youngest enjoying playing in the dirt (we still do it) to the older ones, just trading stories.
Uncle Jack & Aunt Barb
damn...your first post and you get 6 comments. Pretty impressive. I'm so jealous
-Ryan
this is great. Amy made her story so interesting. How fortunate you are to be able to expose Drew to such a loving family experience.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
You all look beautiful.
Charlotte and Murray
it's a wonderful idea to share your views and pics with those of us far, far away.
love to all,
Martha
it's a wonderful idea to share your views and pics with those of us far, far away.
love to all,
Martha
Post a Comment