Friday, December 22, 2006

Vignettes...

I don't want these busy weeks to go by without recording a few memories here:

-The other week, as we were reading together on the sofa, Drew mentioned out of the blue that he would probably get married someday. (Wow!) I put down the book we were reading, and asked him, "Who do you think you might marry?" My head was spinning with the names of the little girls he knows, but he gave me a look as though I had three heads and laughed at me as he replied, "You, Mama!!!"

-Recently, we've had trouble with Drew waking up in the early morning hours asking to come downstairs and hop into our bed. This led to a lot of needless conversations throughout those dark hours, frustrating us to no end. So we sat him down 2 days ago and both talked to him about the importance of staying put throughout the night, falling back asleep himself, and not calling for us if he woke up. A blissfully silent night followed. When I found Drew the next morning sitting in bed an hour after his normal wake up time, obviously awake for quite awhile, he looked at me and asked, "What am I supposed to do now?" That's our earnest little guy these days. Far from perfect, but dutifully following his parents advice, trying hard to learn and do the right thing.

-Drew visited my office for a lunch party earlier this week. (Very exciting for him.) He jumped all over the place on the way and ran all over sneaking up on people in their cubicles. We got to take the subway home together afterwards, but it was well past naptime when we were walking the few blocks to our house. I could tell his energy was flagging when he sat down on someone's stoop and started to whack at his feet with his hands. He looked at me and said, "Mama, my feet are out of walks! Like Tigger's tail gets out of bounces. Come on feet! Come on!" With that, he stood up and made it down the home stretch.

We found out this week that we're having another boy(!)so it's been fun to imagine 2 little guys growing up and learning from each other. David was slightly shocked, or momentarily diappointed at the news since he was SURE it was a girl, but now he just smiles and says, "I'm going to get beat up by these two for the rest of my life!" Let the ruckus begin!

2 comments:

ryan sutherland said...

So fun, so fun. 2 little boys are wonderful, trust me - but David is right - he's going to get wailed on! Asher already has that look in his eye when Bridger and I are horsing around. He already wants to join in!

Missing you guys like crazy and can't wait to meet the new addition when he comes - we're praying for you daily.

Love,

Ryan for the Sutherlands

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your lives with us. Living far away, is hard to keep in touch on the 'everyday' humdrum.
Love you guys!