
David is working in New Orleans this week, and reports that it is still 75% ghost town. And that's just downtown- the devastation elsewhere is still mind boggling. I read a great New Yorker article back in February that gave me chills realizing that 100 years from now, this area may not exist. The land is just impermanent. The article covers the history and geographical info that is needed to balance out the emotional and political aspects of any potential "recovery." Check it out: http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060227fa_fact2
Spring weather continues here in PA, and for me this means I'm back on my drug of choice, Allegra-D! Drew has just discovered sleepng with the windows open. For us city folk, it means a mixture of sirens and traffic noises, but it's still a connection with the outside world that helps change your perspective.
Growing up, I remember how satisfying it was to listen to the cicadas chirp all night through our open windows. Summers were alive-- organic and noisy. (We had no air conditioning, which led to some crazy nights of waking each other at midnight to go take a dip in the pool when it got too hot to sleep.) How is it that those days and nights lasted forever in my 8 year-old mind and now summers feel like they last about a month before winter starts again??

1 comment:
I love the way you captured the essence of your youth.
Love Cyndi
Post a Comment