Friday, June 09, 2006


Welcome to our chatty little world. There's a lot of singing and dancing and earnest talking going on around here. Drew is speaking so clearly and "normally" these days, I find I'm really happy when a little bit of kid jargon still falls into his daily patter. I promise myself that I'm going to videotape some of the conversations Drew has with himself when he's getting to sleep each night. Lately it's been a nice mix of standards (Mary Poppins songs, Yankee Doodle lyrics, fire engine noises) all interspersed with dramatic exclamations like Holy Cow!, No way, man! and names of people he met that day. Must be some kind of imprinting going on.

Here's a good sampling of his daytime chitchat: (at least the ones that still sound kiddish to me)

-On a low-key afternoon recently, when there were no outings, no playdates, no fast pace, and we were all still in pajamas, Drew stopped, looked around the room at us and asked us "What else we have for today?"

-When I'm otherwise occupied, he'll check in from across the room with an ardent, "Mama, what are you doing for me??!"

-Potty training has stalled for the moment (due to complete lack of parental enthusiasm) but it is getting more "discussed", at least by Drew. He asked David to change him recently, and in the changing process, David was surprised to only find pee, and said so. Drew replied, "Huh...what do you know?" (I am taking this type of verbal banter as a sign for imminent potty readiness)

-I must make some absurd noises throughout my daily routine, much like my mother. Perhaps these went unnoticed before Drew came along, but now if I mutter my occasional "Aaaaaaaah!" Drew will call over "Mama, what you stepped on?!" Good to know he's got my back.

-And..."How happened that?" is my personal fave this month.

So now that I've immortalized his baby babble in the lucite of this blog, I hope he stays little long enough for me to hear these just a few more times...!

No comments: