Friday, July 14, 2006

So is this middle age? I'm back at work as a newly-turned 36 year old, with the feeling that I've lost an inch in my lumbar back region. Drew's turned into an old man recently and wants to be carried everywhere, which could be why I feel about a foot shorter.

Drew had a horrible ear infection with 105 degree fever earlier this month, and even though he's rallied on antibiotics and is his old self in every other way, he has lost some weight and stamina, and wants to be carried everywhere now. We've been visiting my sister in the hospital over the past 2 weeks and being there freaks him out, so that's tightening the apron strings too. Sue is doing well now, but having to fear for the outcome of your 27 week-old pregnancy is not easy.


Hopefully another sign of middle-age is taking stock of your responsibilities. I chose to see Al Gore's An Incovenient Truth on my birthday, and I'm glad I did. If there's one thing Al Gore is good at, it's speaking rationally about a complex subject (this is where being wooden works!) and we left feeling re-invigorated, not defeated. (The Risky Business theme song helped). We ticked off a list of things we must do in our house: recycle, pay an extra $8/month for wind energy, vote!

If you'd like to check in to see how much you personally contribute to global warming, take this test click here. There are so many little tiny things that we can all do to create a livable planet. I was glad to see that our carbon contribution was "lower than average", but then again, average is terrifying. It's what's leading us on our current path to the next ice age.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I can't believe this is the first time I have read the blog in a long time. I always love the pictures of Drew, he is getting so big. Glad everyone is feeling better and your back will too.