Monday, January 28, 2008

R.I.P.



Cohen, Swimmy the Fish


Swimmy Cohen, age 7+ months, died Tuesday at his home on Elfreth's Alley in Philadelphia. Swimmy was a graduate of cousin Isabelle's summer here, and was given to Drew on Labor Day. Swimmy was an avid fan of eating fish food and enjoyed his travels to the other side of the fish bowl. He was a lifetime member of the kitchen table centerpiece club. He served the family well as "first pet" (except for a salamander that we found & kept for a few hours once). A tear was shed, a plaintive "why?" was asked, and now Swimmy is survived by a saddened but wiser little boy. A burial at sea* took place with the song "Let's Go Swimming" performed a capella in his honor.

*Among other more important questions raised that day, it was discussed and noted at the time that Swimmy was definitely flushed down the fish-heaven pipe of the toilet, and not the yucky-stuff pipe of toilet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Drew, I wasn't fortunate enough to know Swimmy but I'm sure he made you really, really happy. I'm confident he had a safe ride in the good pipes to fishy Heaven. :) Your Pal, Michael Anthony